When you're young, it's easy to get discouraged trying to find a job in today's tough market. Where can you get the experience, training, and job-search skills you need? You've already taken the first step by visiting this website. Next, you will need to visit your local WorkOne Center.
WorkOne centers offer you access to Internet links for job searches, workshops and classes to help you build the skills necessary to set you apart from other job seekers, resources to help you plan a career path doing something you enjoy, and a Youth Career Coach who can guide you on the roadmap to success.
Many resources are available to youth 16 and older. In addition, WorkOne can help young people ages 14 to 24 regardless of your status in school, or out of school and who meet the Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA) eligibility guidelines. Contact your nearest WorkOne Center and ask for a youth staff member to see if you qualify.
WorkOne can help YOU prepare for and succeed in employment and post-secondary education by providing you with:
- Labor market and employment information for the local area
- Paid and unpaid work experiences and internships
- Occupational skill training
- Financial literacy training
- Activities that prepare youth to transition to post-secondary education and training
WorkOne can help YOU achieve success in school by providing you with:
- Tutoring, study skills and dropout prevention strategies
- Alternative secondary school and/or dropout recovery services
- Links to high school equivalency(HSE) courses
- Education concurrent with workforce preparation
WorkOne can help YOU develop your potential as a citizen and leader by providing you with:
- Leadership development opportunities
- Entrepreneurial skills training
WorkOne can help YOU realize success through the following additional services:
- Supportive services (including transportation assistance, childcare assistance and more)
- Adult mentoring
- Access to comprehensive guidance and counseling
- Follow-up contact once you have completed training or achieved goals
WorkOneCentral Indiana currently offers the following programs for youth in local high schools:
Jobs for America's Graduates
The Jobs for America's Graduates (JAG) program is currently offered to sophomore through senior students at Anderson, Avon, Eastern Hancock, Greenfield Central, Martinsville, Mt. Vernon, Pendleton Heights, Sheridan, Shelbyville, Western Boone Jr./Sr., and Whiteland High Schools who meet program eligibility. Students involved in the JAG program attend a daily, 1 credit class, where they are instructed by a Specialist who educates them on career and life skills such as effective communication, resume writing techniques, and interview preparation.
Twenty-first Century Scholar
The Twenty-first Century Scholars Program began in 1990 as Indiana's way of raising the educational aspirations of low and moderate-income families. The program aims to ensure that all Indiana families can afford a college education for their children.
Education & Training
Indiana State Internships
The Governor's Public Service Summer Internship Program was created in 1989 to introduce bright and motivated college students to the operations and officials of state government.
Indiana INTERNnet is an internship-matching program linking employers, students, colleges and universities by providing both high-tech and high-touch support. It is a powerful high-tech Web-based search, matching and reporting system coupled with "high touch" personal assistance, a toll-free hotline to answer questions and provide internship guidance, resource materials, creating or expanding high quality internship opportunities within the state.
- Drive of Your Life
- Teen Health
- The Youthhood
- Volunteer Match
- College Navigator
- Job Corps
- Hoosier Youth Challenge Academy
- Youth Build
- Government Benefits
- Trip to College
Indiana specific links to governmental agencies and community resources
- Learn More Indiana
- Ask Rose- (Rose-Hulman Homework Hotline)
- Indiana Youth Institute
Links to all branches of the military